My novel Monstrous Devices (a strange adventure for readers aged 9-99, stuffed with magic, mystery, derring-do and generally ill-advised behaviour) is available now. Its sequel, The Shadow Arts, will be published in March 2020…but it can be pre-ordered from all good bookshops…now!
Monstrous Devices & The Shadow Arts
published in the USA by
Viking Children’s Books
Cover art by Sam LeDoyen
What people have said about Monstrous Devices:
• “I enjoyed everything about Damien Love’s debut–its title, its breakneck action, its sly sense of humor. If you imagine Rick and Morty colliding with early Spielberg, you get some idea of this delirious adventure . . . and I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see it on the screen. I wish my first novel had been as imaginative and assured.” – ANTHONY HOROWITZ, New York Times bestselling author of the Alex Rider series
• “What fun! An evil villain, a host of scary robots, big and small, and a hero with commendably bad personal habits. Loved it!” – JOHN FLANAGAN, New York Times bestselling author of the Ranger’s Apprentice and Brotherband series
• “Monstrous Devices effortlessly brings mythic legend and modern life together in one exhilarating, breathless chase. With humor, relentless adventure, and true insight, Damien Love compels us to look closely at our wishes and illusions, at the dark and light forces of creation, at what really makes us tick.” — S.E. GROVE, New York Times bestselling author of The Glass Sentence
• “Mysterious and frightening things begin to happen….humorous patter leavens a well-crafted adventure that’s filled with desperate chases, narrow escapes, fight scenes, and twists.” – PUBLISHERS WEEKLY (starred review)
• “Lo que sigue es puro terror adolescente…” (“What follows is pure teen terror…”)
– EL MUNDO
• “A well-knit debut, generously stocked with chills, thrills, and chancy exploits…Love tucks in plenty of icky bits, along with cinematic set pieces and hairbreadth escapes.” – KIRKUS
• “…Raiders of the Lost Ark meets Toy Story…” – selected as one of the year’s Flying Starts notable debuts by PUBLISHERS WEEKLY
• “An immensely entertaining adventure tale, with Scottish author Love’s masterful manipulation of pacing alternately drawing out tension or speeding up life-and-death clashes to keep the pages furiously turning…Atmospheric and cinema ready, this will leave adventure fans anxious for another road trip” – BULLETIN OF THE CENTER FOR CHILDREN’S BOOKS
• “The entertaining plot proceeds at full tilt…” – THE HORN BOOK GUIDE
• Named one of THE YEAR’S BEST BOOKS by BARNES & NOBLE
• “With great aplomb and distinct accents, Allan Corduner throws listeners, along with the main character Alex, into a world in which robots are alive, ancient magical powers can come to life, and Alex’s grandfather eats too many sweets.” – AUDIOBOOK awarded as one of the Notable Children’s Recordings 2019 by the ALSC, a division of the AMERICAN LIBRARY ASSOCIATION
• A Junior Library Guild selection
ABOUT MONSTROUS DEVICES
On a winter’s day in a British town, twelve-year-old Alex receives a package in the mail: an old tin robot from his grandfather. “This one is special” says the enclosed note, and when strange events start occurring around him, Alex suspects this small toy is more than special; it might be deadly.
Right as things get out of hand, Alex’s grandfather arrives, pulling him away from an attack and his otherwise humdrum world of friends, bullies, and homework and into the macabre magic of an ancient family feud. Together, the duo flees across snowy Europe, unraveling the riddle of the little robot while trying to outwit relentless assassins of the human and mechanical kind….
NEWS & UPDATES
MONSTROUS DEVICES también está disponible en español como PEQUEÑOS ROBOTS MALVADOS de Alfaguara. Para más información, ¡pincha aquí!
…look out for more international editions coming soon